It was a warm week at the finca el cerillo this July – but there’s always plenty of shady places to write or relax in and then there’s the pool with its stunning mountain views…
In the mornings we did writing exercises taking a different topic each day from ‘The Suitcase’ to ‘The First Date’ and blended this with work on autobiography (using favourite smells from childhood to trigger memories of a place and a person) flash fiction, novel beginnings, sensory overload and character development. Some writers used these exercises to develop work already in progress and some writers got started on a new idea.
After this there were 1 to 1s where we were able to chat individually about… anything and then a leisurely lunch. The afternoons were free for individual writing/ chilling/ swimming/ reading.
Late afternoon we met up for our group workshop on the shady ‘Palm Deck’ (with a gin and tonic in some cases) and listened to each other’s work with our constructive and encouraging hats on. Most people said they had written much more than they had expected to during the week. And from the feedback comments at the end, I think everyone had a good time.
Steph kindly organised an optional meditation session one afternoon with some useful ‘brain tips’ to help us feel more in charge of ourselves… And Keeley encouraged us to learn a bit of basic Spanish which came in handy when organising drinks when we visited local restaurants for dinners out.
First thing in the morning a few of us did the traditional walk around the olive grove which takes in some glorious mountain views and the sight of Gordon’s treehouse constructed in an ancient olive tree.
In the evenings we had Elaine’s quiz, Richard’s music quiz, Gordon’s Desert Island Discs and the infamous hat game (not at all competitive and lots of FUN… 😊) And one night there was music and dancing in the square in Canillas.
We played writing consequences too and wrote limericks for the last workshop session, which wasn’t easy but was good practice and a lot of laughs.
Our next Writing Holiday is March 2023 which is already fully booked but I will be opening up bookings for June 2023 very soon. Watch this space or email me for further information!
- Autumn Pages
- Researching in Liguria
- Writing at the Finca in July
- Summer Sizzlers 2022
- Spring Reading 2022
- Flash Fiction Slam at BAC
- Writing at the Finca March 2022
- I Am Editing…
- It’s getting colder – time for some late Autumn goodies…
- Writing and Researching during a Pandemic
- Summer Sizzlers – my summer reading
- The Seville Orange and Almond Cake
- The Writing Walk
- Winter Reading Hotties
- Returning to Belle-ile-en-mer
- The Creation of a New World (to Everyone who Does It)
- Autumn Warmers
- Research in the Walled Gardens
- Late Summer Reading…
- Writing Cinematically
- June News
- Spring Reading (In Lockdown…)
- Returning to Mandalay
- Writing at the Finca in February
- Winter Reading
- Oranges in Seville
- Autumn Reading
- Portishead Visit
- An Italian Supper
- Spirit of Place
- Writing at Finca el Cerrillo – seven reasons for a group leader to host a Writing Holiday
- Summer Reading – 8 books to add to your summer tbr pile
- Self-Promotion – how ready are you to shout about it?
- Featuring The Lemon Tree Hotel
- On the Scent of a Storyline
- Location for The Lemon Tree Hotel
- Spring Reading 2019
- March Madness
- The Books I Read this Winter (so far…)
- The Books I Read this Summer…
- My Summer
- Sense of Place
- Winter Reading 2017
- Planning or Pantsing…
- Summer Reading 2017
- Another Little Theatre by the Sea
- Give Bosa a Hug From Me
- Spring Reading 2017
- How Bosa became Deriu
- Whose Point of View? (Most of what matters…)