On this dull day in May, I’m thinking about Sardinia and looking forward to the paperback publication of Little Theatre by the Sea…..
Drum roll……. On June 1st I can’t wait to see the book with its luscious cover (thank you, QuercusBooks) in bookshops and supermarkets. I’ll be the one seen having a quick hug – with the book that is.
So, when I think about Sardinia where Little Theatre is mostly set – with a smattering of West Dorset of course, my home these days – I think about the warmth, the translucent sea in the secret little coves, and the delicious food. I want to go there – now!
And I think about Bosa. Bosa lies on the rugged west coast of the island of Sardinia and was the main inspiration for my fictional town of Deriu. It was founded by the Phoenicians, so it’s historic and also pretty, with mediaeval cobbled streets to wander, gorgeous pastel-painted houses on the river-bank and a colourful market. Bosa’s artisan traditions of gold-filigree jewellery and lace-making can still be seen – women sitting outside their houses doing embroidery and gold filigree jewellery being sold in the market.
And there’s more – you can walk through olive groves and blue jasmine up the winding stone steps to the Castello dei Malaspino, which offers spectacular views of the church of San Pietro, the Temo river valley and the red roofs of the Sa Costa quarter. Restoration in the 1970s has brought to light the most stunning cycle of Catalan school frescoes within the small fourteenth century Nostra Signora di Regnos Altos chapel. These frescoes are unexpected, vivid and truly beautiful to behold.
It’s also worth visiting the fascinating Casa Deriu for a touch of 1920s faded glamour, the marina to watch the boats come in, and of course one of the wonderful restaurants to be found in the town…
If you read Little Theatre by the Sea, I hope that you’ll be inspired to visit Sardinia, and especially the little town of Bosa. If you do, please give Bosa a hug from me.
- Oranges in Seville
- Autumn Reading
- Portishead Visit
- An Italian Supper
- Spirit of Place
- Writing at Finca el Cerrillo – seven reasons for a group leader to host a Writing Holiday
- Summer Reading – 8 books to add to your summer tbr pile
- Self-Promotion – how ready are you to shout about it?
- Featuring The Lemon Tree Hotel
- On the Scent of a Storyline
- Location for The Lemon Tree Hotel
- Spring Reading 2019
- March Madness
- The Books I Read this Winter (so far…)
- The Books I Read this Summer…
- My Summer
- Sense of Place
- Winter Reading 2017
- Planning or Pantsing…
- Summer Reading 2017
- Another Little Theatre by the Sea
- Give Bosa a Hug From Me
- Spring Reading 2017
- How Bosa became Deriu
- Whose Point of View? (Most of what matters…)
- Winter Book Reviews 2016
- The Flavour of the Place
- Summer Book Reviews
- Everybody’s Going to Havana
- American Classic Cars in Havana
- Spring Book Reviews 2016
- First Sighting of ‘Last Dance’.
- Rosanna’s Winter Book Reviews 2015/6
- Rosanna’s Autumn Book Reviews
- Creative Writing in Bridport
- Writing at Finca el Cerrillo – 2015
- Great Summer Reading 2015: Rosanna’s Reviews
- Dear Saffron Trail
- Three great books that I have read in the past few months and enjoyed… Happy Spring Reading!