ABOUT ROSANNA LEY
Rosanna has written numerous articles and short stories for magazines, and her novels have been published in the UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Poland, Norway, Hungary, Portugal, Lithuania, Denmark, Bulgaria, Turkey and the Czech Republic. All Rosanna’s titles are also being published by Quercus in the US.
Rosanna has also worked as a creative writing tutor for over 20 years. She has led courses for colleges and universities in England, and runs her own writing retreats and holidays in the UK and in stunning locations in Europe. She has worked with community groups in therapeutic settings and completed an MA in creative writing for personal development in order to support this. She also mentors and appraises the work of new writers.
Travelling and cliff walking are two of Rosanna’s favourite things to do. She also likes tennis, swimming, reading, eating very dark chocolate and drinking Italian coffee (preferably in Italy…) She lives with her artist husband in West Dorset and her favourite writing place is anywhere with a sea view.
Rosanna’s Ten Writing Tips
- Read – a lot.
- Daydream – a lot.
- Take time to research, think, plot, plan. Let the idea for your story compost. Create a space for it. Become immersed in the world of it.
- Get to know your characters before you start writing. Think about them. Imagine them in certain scenarios. Listen out for their voice.
- Write not just what you know but also what you want to explore.
- Write (every day if possible). Do it. Make it a high priority in your life and then it will be.
- Listen to criticism but don’t let it hurt you.
- Edit ruthlessly. Less is more. Show don’t tell. (Which are both clichés but also avoid clichés)
- Answer the important questions in every scene: Where? When? Who? What? and Why?
- Never give up.
I will be at Blandford Forum Literary Festival! More details to follow…
Bridport Library, South Street. DT6 3NY. Happy to be taking part in the Bridport Literary Festival in a panel session with Maria Donovan and Gail Aldwin entitled ‘Spirit of Place’ https://bit.ly/2Z39t07
Local independent bookshops have signed copies of The Lemon Tree Hotel with bookmarks (!) I have visited the Totnes Bookshop and will be at Archway Bookshop, Axminster Tuesday 25th June at 3 p.m. Copies also available at Serendip, Lyme Regis; Winston’s in Sidmouth and Waterstone’s Yeovil from 20th June. For Bridport, watch this space…
Weymouth Library event 11.00 a.m. – more details later
I will be at Harefield Library with Erica James – come along for writing chat, tea & cake! Contact Lara Marshall for more details: email@example.com
2 p.m. Event at Westbourne Library. More details tbc
Launch of The Lemon Tree Hotel at Waterstones Yeovil, 37A Middle Street, BA20 1LG. If you are within reach of Yeovil, you are very welcome to come along but please RSVP me by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
I will be at Sturminster Newton Literary Festival chatting to Laura James about writerly things in The Bow Room at The Exchange 2 p.m. There are lots of interesting events going on, and most of the daytime events are free. See: https://bit.ly/2JKxstM and https://sturlitfest.com/
The Lemon Tree Hotel comes out in paperback!
I will be speaking at Bournemouth Literary Lunch. Exciting…