ABOUT ROSANNA LEY
Rosanna has written numerous articles and short stories for magazines, and her novels have been published in the UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Poland, Norway, Hungary, Portugal, Lithuania, Denmark, Bulgaria, Turkey and the Czech Republic. ‘The Villa’ is also published by Quercus in the US.
Rosanna makes notes outside the Teatro Civico (Alghero) for
Little Theatre by the Sea
Rosanna has also worked as a creative writing tutor for over 20 years. She has led courses for colleges and universities in England, and runs her own writing retreats and holidays in the UK and in stunning locations in Europe. She has worked with community groups in therapeutic settings and completed an MA in creative writing for personal development in order to support this. She also mentors and appraises the work of new writers.
Travelling and cliff walking are two of Rosanna’s favourite things to do. She also likes tennis, swimming, reading, eating very dark chocolate and drinking Italian coffee (preferably in Italy...) She lives with her artist husband in West Dorset and her favourite writing place is anywhere with a sea view.
Rosanna’s Ten Writing Tips
- Read – a lot.
- Daydream – as much as possible.
- Don’t be in a hurry. Take time to read, think, plot, plan. Let the idea for your story compost. Create a space for it.
- Get to know your characters before you start writing. Think about them. Imagine them in certain scenarios. Listen out for their voice.
- Write not what you know but what you want to explore.
- Write (every day if possible) as spontaneously as you can. Do it. Make it a high priority.
- Develop tough bark (that’s the tree kind not the kind you use for yelling at people). In other words – listen to criticism but don’t let it hurt you.
- Edit ruthlessly. Less is more. Show don’t tell. (Which are both clichés but also avoid clichés)
- Answer the important questions: Where? When? Who? What? and Why?
- Never give up.
I am delighted to tell you that Little Theatre by the Sea is currently available for just 99p on Kindle! Got to be a bargain!! http://amzn.to/2sGiyca
I am thrilled to be doing an afternoon tea event with Hillingdon Libraries on Tuesday 4th July with the lovely Isabelle Broom author of Then, Now, Always. See: http://bit.ly/2qnAcmn for details - and apparently it's not afternoon tea, it's a glass of bubbly instead - sounds good to me...
I'm coming to Waterstones, Dorchester on Thursday 29th June at 7 pm to chat with Liz Fenwick author of The Returning Tide. This is a free event and signed books will also be available!
I will be at Waterstones, Yeovil at 7pm Monday 26th June for a talk and discussion. The event costs £3 but this is redeemable against the price of a copy of Little Theatre by the Sea!
I will be signing copies of Little Theatre by the Sea at Bridport Waterstones on Saturday June 10th 10-12 a.m. Do come along to say hello!
Look out for copies of Little Theatre on London underground on June 1st...
Drum roll......... Little Theatre by the Sea is out in paperback on June 1st!
Thrilled that Bay of Secrets has been picked for I heart Romance promotion. This is also a bargain alert as the book is now available to buy for just 99p!!! http://amzn.to/2ljpWJY
March 15th 2017 at 1.45p.m. I will be on a panel at the London Book Fair with C L Taylor and Jonathan Telfer, editor of Writing Magazine. Will you be there??
2017 finds me deep in the waters of my WIP (working title 'Daughters of Belle Ile'). Hoping to finish the first draft by the end of March!